UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Tigray Update - WFP
/
1:57
/
MP4
/
144 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Tigray Update - WFP

UN World Food Programme hails aid flights to Mekelle in Ethiopia’s stricken Tigray region

Aid flights have resumed to Ethiopia’s wartorn Tigray region after a month-long break linked to the eight-month conflict there, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

WFP spokesperson Tomson Phiri confirmed that the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS), which is operated by the UN agency, had completed its “first scheduled passenger flight to Mekelle on Thursday”.

The airplane transported 30 aid workers “from multiple humanitarian organisations working to deliver urgently needed assistance to conflict-affected communities across Tigray”, the agency said in statement.

Despite the positive development, which will see twice-weekly flights into Mekelle, the WFP official said that there is still extreme concern for some four million people in Tigray.

Seven in 10 people in the northwest region have high levels of acute food insecurity and need emergency assistance after more than eight months of fighting between Ethiopian Government troops and those loyal to the dominant regional force, the Tigray People’s Liberation Front.

But the humanitarian response has been severely hampered “by a severe lack of sufficient food and other humanitarian supplies, limited communication services and no commercial supply chain”, Mr. Phiri said.

Last Sunday, a 10-truck WFP aid convoy was attacked in neighbouring Afar region, while attempting to transport essential food aid to Tigray, where 400,000 people face famine.

“In June, WFP reached over 185,000 people with nutrition support but progress in early July was much slower due to security concerns with 30,000 people reached in July so far,” Mr Phiri said.

“WFP is now delivering nutrition support in areas previously inaccessible throughout the conflict, including those with high malnutrition rates. Now, all this is a fraction of the number of people we should be reaching at this stage.”

In the past month, the UN agency delivered food assistance to more than 730,000 people in parts of southern Tigray and northwest Tigray.

This includes some 40,000 people in Zana who were reached with food assistance for the first time.

WFP also hopes to reach an additional 80,000 people elsewhere in the northwest in the coming days. Once this is completed, food stocks in the northwest are likely to run out, Mr. Phiri said.

“Our teams are telling us that the people we are reaching, particularly in areas that were previously inaccessible such as Zana - are the furthest behind,” the WFP official warned. “They have been completely cut off and living in dire conditions. These are people who have been displaced and now shelter in schools and other impromptu shelters; a lot of them missed both the harvest and planting season due to fighting. Others had livestock and grain stocks completely looted. They are literally living from hand to mouth and are completely reliant on WFP assistance to survive.”

A WFP-led convoy of more than 200 trucks carrying food and other essential humanitarian supplies is on standby in Semera, Afar, “and expected to depart for Tigray as soon as security clearances are assured”, said Mr. Phiri, who reiterated WFP’s call for faster, free and unimpeded access into Tigray.

ends

STORY: Tigray Update – WFP

TRT: 01 min 57s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 23 July 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying in the wind, a beautiful day.
  2. Wide shot of press conference room at UN Geneva, TV camera on tripod in centre, podium and host/participants to rear and to sides.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, UN World Food Programme (WFP): “The United Nations Humanitarian Air Service has completed the first scheduled passenger flight to Mekelle on Thursday, transporting 30 aid workers from multiple humanitarian organisations who are working to deliver urgently needed assistance to conflict-affected communities across Tigray.”
  4. Close-up, observer, masked and with headband, with UN staff to rear.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, UN World Food Programme (WFP): “In June, WFP reached over 185,000 people with nutrition support but progress in early July was much slower due to security concerns with 30,000 people reached in July so far. WFP is now delivering nutrition support in areas previously inaccessible throughout the conflict, including those with high malnutrition rates. Now, all this is a fraction of the number of people we should be reaching at this stage.”
  6. Close-up, UN staff member, masked and wearing headphones, with UN staff to rear.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, UN World Food Programme (WFP): “Our teams are telling us that the people we are reaching, particularly in areas that were previously inaccessible such as Zana - are the furthest behind. They have been completely cut off and living in dire conditions. These are people who have been displaced and now shelter in schools and other impromptu shelters; a lot of them missed both the harvest and planting season due to fighting. Others had livestock and grain stocks completely looted. They are literally living from hand to mouth and are completely reliant on WFP assistance to survive.”
  8. Close-up, hand holding pen, taking notes on notepad.
  9. Close-up, WFP spokesperson’s face in TV camera viewfinder, podium to rear.
  10. Medium shot, large-screen TV showing broadcast image of WFP spokesperson and podium.


Audio Files 1
Download UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Tigray Update - WFP
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.