Ceasefire in Tigray more urgent than ever: UN emergency relief chief
A ceasefire in Tigray on humanitarian grounds is needed now more than ever if a massive aid operation across frontlines is to succeed, the UN’s emergency relief chief said on Friday.
Speaking from UN Geneva, Martin Griffiths highlighted the urgency of the situation for all those affected in the northern Ethiopian region, after eight months of fighting between Government forces and those loyal to the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).
Earlier this week, the UN official warned that 200,000 people had been displaced by fighting in neighbouring Amhara region, along with more than 50,000 in Afar.
“This war has to stop, this war has to end; we will all of us continue to try to make sure that those 100 trucks a day reach Mekelle, reach the beneficiaries,” Mr. Griffiths insisted. “We will do everything we can to help the people affected in Amhara and Afar, while continuing the work in other parts of Ethiopia.”
Highlighting the logistical challenge of negotiating aid access into Tigray while the violence continues, the UN emergency relief chief said that he had “no reason to doubt” the ceasefire announced by Ethiopian premier Abiy Ahmed, who he met in person in Addis Ababa on a six-day visit, along with other senior government leaders.
“The Prime Minister has issued a unilateral ceasefire, he repeated his commitment to it on the two occasions that we met and I have no reason to doubt that at all. For the Tigrayans who are spreading the war into the south and east, into Afar and Amhara, they need to take into account that without that ceasefire, we will try to get those 100 trucks in, but it’s going to be easier for the Tigrayan people if the war is stopped.”
Since conflict erupted last November, humanitarian needs have grown, amid killings, looting and destruction of health centres and farming infrastructure, including irrigation systems that are vital to successful harvests.
Some 400,000 people face famine in Tigray, UN humanitarians have warned repeatedly, in recent weeks.
“They need food, the harvest which has recently been planted is likely only to produce between a quarter and maximum a half of its likely production. So, the need for food is going to go right through until next year,” said Mr. Griffiths.
“They need re-equipment of primary health centres. We saw hospitals and health centres destroyed, the equipment taken away. There are health workers but not salaries.”
Noting that some 178 aid trucks had reportedly reached Tigray regional capital Mekelle in recent days, with another 40 waiting to arrive, the UN official underscored how difficult it has been to secure regular aid access amid checkpoint delays and detailed searches, which he had experienced at first hand on a UN flight to Mekelle.
“The frustration of agencies – and you know, I’ve just spent two days with them – national NGOs, international NGOs, UN agencies, is that they have access, but haven’t had the supplies needed to exploit the access,” he said. So, hopefully a little bit better today because of those 178 trucks, but a lot – a lot – still to be done.”
Despite the complexity of the situation, Mr. Griffiths maintained that his discussions with the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign minister and the Minister of Peace and others had been “very constructive” during his just-completed visit to Addis Ababa and Tigray. “They of course told me that they were very keen to help on the difficult issue of delivery of assistance and then protection of civilians,” he added, before repeating his condemnation of the “very high degree of rhetoric” which had seen humanitarian officials and aid workers “condemned in public and on social media” for “feeding the Tigrayan machine”.
“I spoke to those leaders that I’ve mentioned that any such criticisms need to stop. First of all, it threatens the lives of people who are there to help, and secondly of course, it has an impact on humanitarian delivery,” he said.
STORY: Tigray Update – UN Emergency Relief Coordinator
TRT: 3’17”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 6 August 2021, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | IFRC , OCHA , UNCTAD , UNHCR , WHO
UNCTAD: Trade and Development Foresights 2026, update on Trade and Development Report 2025; WHO: Update on WHA and Ebola in Congo and Uganda; UNHCR: Ebola - concerns for displaced people and humanitarian operations; IFRC: Red Cross response to the Ebola outbreak
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | OCHA , UNICEF , UNOG , WFP , FAO , WHO , UNEP , ILO , WMO
UN Geneva press briefing chaired by Rolando Gómez, Chief, Press and External Relations Section, UN Information Service, with the participation of representatives of OCHA, UNICEF, WFP, FAO, WHO, UNEP, ILO and WMO.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
2
Press Conferences | UN WOMEN , UNDP , UNEP , UNICEF , WHO
UN WOMEN: Ukraine war deadlier for women and girls; UNICEF: West Bank and East Jerusalem: children targeted by violence and dismantling of systems and services; WHO: Gaza, medical rehabilitation needs; UNDP: South Sudan: fragility, elections, peacebuilding, justice and resilience; UNEP: Sand and Sustainability report.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UNEP
Launch of the United Nations Environment Programme’s report: ‘2026 Sand and Sustainability: An Essential Resource for Nature and Development’.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UN WOMEN , WFP , WHO
UN Women - The situation of women and girls in Lebanon; WFP - Deteriorating humanitarian conditions in Somalia; WHO - Hantavirus interim update
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.