Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR
/
3:13
/
MP4
/
236.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP , OHCHR

Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR

UN humanitarians in Lebanon on Tuesday described the massive challenge of trying to reach some 1.2 million people who have fled heavy Israeli bombardment and evacuation orders, driven by the fear that what happened in Gaza may befall them, too.

“It's impossible to meet the needs of more than a million people who have been suddenly uprooted, displaced and dispossessed without additional resources coming in,” said Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “This was not a country that was well prepared because of all of the challenges that it's faced over the past years. So, it's going to be a struggle.”

One week since the UN launched a $426 million appeal to help those affected by the Lebanon crisis, contributions have reached just over 12 per cent, or $51.4 million.

Aid teams are committed to helping all those in need and particularly the most vulnerable, but Mr. Hollingworth warned that many of those uprooted by the rapid escalation in fighting had little choice but to leave their homes with nothing.

After COVID-19 and the devastating port explosion in Beirut in 2020, poverty levels have soared in the country that has struggled to host more than a million Syrian refugees, amid a long-running political crisis.

Uprooted in a moment

“[We’ve had] horrific cases of forced evacuation notices coming out with few hours for people to prepare and depart,” Mr. Hollingworth said.

Families displaced over the past year “who had prepared themselves…are far, far better off than the much greater majority today who have left in some cases with only hours to spare before their areas have come under bombardment.”

Amid intense Israeli bombardment of Beirut and southern Lebanon linked to the war in Gaza, the seven districts in frontline areas south of the country bordering Israel and Beirut’s southern suburbs have emptied of “hundreds of thousands of people”, the veteran aid worker reported. “Many of these towns, villages and suburbs [are] now nothing more than rubble.”

Paying the ultimate price

In a fresh appeal to halt the violence in Gaza, Lebanon and beyond, Jeremy Laurence from the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said that civilians continue to pay “the ultimate price, whether it be the hospitals being closed, a million people displaced, civilians killed, schools impacted; the devastation is beyond belief for all people in Lebanon as it is in Gaza. We can't let this happen again.”

Shelters ‘choc-a-block’

More than 200,000 people now live in the 973 formal shelters located inside Beirut and the north of country, according to WFP. Some 773 of these “are absolutely choc-a-block full”, Mr. Hollingworth said, adding that people in the south had decided to move not only because their land and homes had been destroyed, but because they had lost “family and friends and communities and they are extraordinarily fearful of what comes next”.

The aid agency update comes amid reported renewed rocket fire at the northern Israeli city of Haifa by Hezbollah on Tuesday. The armed group has been firing rockets at northern Israel since the outbreak of the war in Gaza, displacing tens of thousands of Israelis.

Healthcare under attack

According to the UN World Health Organization (WHO), 17 attacks on health care and healthcare workers since 16 September have left 65 dead and 42 injured.

More than 96 healthcare centres and health facilities have been forced to close in the south. Five hospitals are now not functioning “either due to physical or infrastructural damage”, said WHO’s Ian Clarke, Deputy Incident Manager for Lebanon.

Speaking via video from Beirut, he said that an additional four hospitals have been partially evacuated to maintain emergency services, with patients needing critical dialysis and cancer care referred to other hospitals.

UN humanitarians have insisted on the need to keep land, air and sea access open to Lebanon, which is dependent on imports for most of its needs.

A reported 1,900 hectares of agricultural land have been burned in the south of the country over the past year and “primarily in the last few weeks”, WFP’s Mr. Hollingworth said. In addition, 12,000 hectares of farmland in one of the most productive areas of the country have been abandoned and some 46,000 farmers have been impacted heavily by the crisis. “Olive harvests in the south will not happen, bananas, citrus harvests will not happen,” he noted.

Story: Lebanon crisis update – WFP, OHCHR

Speakers:

  • Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut);
  • Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson, OHCHR.

TRT: 03’13”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 8 October 2024 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
RESTRICTIONS: None



SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: UN flag alley.
  2. Wide shot of the UN Geneva Press room.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “We have upwards of 1.2 million people affected now by this crisis; hundreds of thousands of people displaced from the seven districts in the frontline areas of the south of this country bordering Israel and of course the southern suburbs of Beirut – emptied - many of these towns, villages and suburbs now nothing more than rubble.”
  4. Medium wide shot of Press room, podium and participants.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “There’s now 973 formal shelters inside Beirut and the north of country with more than 200,000 living there registered; 773 of those shelters are absolutely choc-a-block full.”
  6. Medium-wide, Press room, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “Many of the families that I’ve have met and I was in the south earlier last week talk about the fact that they are moving just because of fear of destruction of land and their homes and their neighbourhoods, but also because they have lost people, they’ve lots family and friends and communities and they are extraordinarily fearful of what comes next.”
  8. Medium-wide, Press room, TV screens showing external speakers.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “It's impossible to meet the needs of more than a million people who have been suddenly uprooted, displaced and dispossessed without additional resources coming in. And this was not a country that was well prepared because of all of the challenges that it's faced over the past years. So, it's going to be a struggle.”
  10. Medium-wide, TV screens showing WFP speaker, journalist and control room.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) Matthew Hollingworth, WFP Country Director in Lebanon (From Beirut): “Horrific cases of forced evacuation notices coming out with few hours for people to prepare and depart. So, many of families that were displaced over the past year who had prepared themselves and their family belongings are far, far better off than the much greater majority today who have left in some cases with only hours to spare before their areas have come under bombardment.”
  12. Medium-wide, Press room.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) Jeremy Laurence, OHCHR: “We’re seeing civilians pay the ultimate price, whether it be the hospitals being closed, a million people displaced, civilians killed, schools impacted, the devastation is beyond belief for all people in in Lebanon as it is in Gaza. We can't let this happen again.”
  14. Medium, Press room, journalists, podium.
  15. Medium, journalist typing on laptop.
  16. Medium, journalists.


Audio Files 1
Download Lebanon crisis - WFP, OHCHR (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF ENG FRA

Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF

The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday

DRC Ebola update - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA

DRC Ebola update - OCHA ENG FRA

As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.