Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: Ukraine Update- OHCHR - WHO
/
1:52
/
MP4
/
137.4 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OHCHR , WHO , UNITED NATIONS

Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: Ukraine Update- OHCHR - WHO

STORYLINE

Ukraine: UN’s Bachelet condemns ‘horrors’ against civilians

Nearly two months since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet on Friday condemned the “horrors” committed against civilians, while the World Health Organization warned that it feared the worst in devastated areas in the east and south of the country.

In an appeal to all parties to the conflict to respect internationally agreed rules of war, the High Commissioner for Human Rights said in a statement that “international humanitarian law has not merely been ignored but seemingly tossed aside”.

Russian armed forces had “indiscriminately shelled and bombed populated areas,” she added, “killing civilians and wrecking hospitals, schools and other civilian infrastructure, actions that may amount to war crimes.”

Delivering the High Commissioner’s statement, UN rights office (OHCHR) spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani warned that there was deep concern about the current new phase of the war, amid a massive military build-up and clashes in the east of the country.

“There already has been a bloodbath,” Ms. Shamdasani said. “We’re talking about 2,343 – at least 2,343 civilians - who have been killed and we’re talking about the summary execution of more than 300 civilians. We are very concerned, we’re very worried about what’s coming next.”

Evidence is mounting that war crimes have been committed, for the most part by Russian forces, the OHCHR spokesperson maintained.

“These include indiscriminate shelling and bombing of populated areas, summary execution of civilians. As I said though, the vast majority of violations by far are attributable to the Russian forces, so if we just look at the civilian casualties, 92.3 per cent of what we have managed to record were recorded in Government-controlled territories, so attributable to the Russian armed forces.”

During a mission to Bucha on 9 April, UN human rights officers documented the unlawful killing, including by summary execution, of some 50 civilians.

“Almost every resident in Bucha our colleagues spoke to told us about the death of a relative, a neighbour or even a stranger,” Ms. Shamdasani said, quoting the High Commissioner. “We know much more needs to be done to uncover what happened there and we also know Bucha is not an isolated incident.”

During its investigations, the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU)

has received more than 300 allegations of killings of civilians in towns in the regions of Kyiv, Chernihiv, Kharkiv and Sumy, all under the control of Russian armed forces in late February and early March.

Underscoring that the true death toll is almost certainly much higher than what has been confirmed to date, Ms. Shamdasani added that “the scale of summary executions of civilians in areas previously occupied by Russian forces” was also emerging.

“The preservation of evidence and decent treatment of mortal remains must be ensured, as well as the psychological and other relief for victims and their relatives.”

The desperate situation for civilians caught up in the fighting continues to alarm humanitarian agencies and their partners, including the UN World Health Organization (WHO).

To date, the agency has still been blocked from reaching some of the hardest-hit areas in the east where it reported on Friday that the health system “has all but collapsed”.

In Luhansk oblast, “nearly all health facilities and hospitals …are either damaged or destroyed”, said WHO spokesperson Bhanu Bhatnagar, speaking from Lviv in western Ukraine: “It’s absolutely essential that a safe passage is created quickly, we need a cessation of fighting for at least two days in order to move vital supplies in, but also to assess the health needs. We anticipate the worst.”

Ends

STORY: Ukraine Update – OHCHR, WHO

TRT: 1 min 52s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 22 April 2022 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, flag alley, UN Geneva.
  2. Medium shot, from the side, with podium speaker in the foreground, TV screen showing speakers to rear.
  1. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “There already has been a bloodbath; we’re talking about 2,343 – at least 2,343 civilians - who have been killed and we’re talking about the summary execution of more than 300 civilians. We are very concerned, we’re very worried about what’s coming next.”
  1. Medium shot, TV screen on the floor showing speakers in the foreground, masked participant sitting in front of the laptop to rear.
  1. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “There is evidence mounting of war crimes being committed and these include indiscriminate shelling and bombing of populated areas, summary execution of civilians. As I said though, the vast majority of violations by far are attributable to the Russian forces, so if we just look at the civilian casualties, 92.3 per cent of what we have managed to record were recorded in Government-controlled territories, so attributable to the Russian armed forces.”
  1. Close-up, from the back of a participant, laptop showing the speaker in foreground; TV screen showing the speaker in background, out of focus.
  1. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “The scale of summary executions of civilians in areas previously occupied by Russian forces are also emerging. The preservation of evidence and decent treatment of mortal remains must be ensured, as well as the psychological and other relief for victims and their relatives.”
  1. Medium shot, side angle, TV screen showing the speaker in foreground, podium speaker to rear.
  1. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): Bhanu Bhatnagar (Zoom from Lviv), spokesperson, WHO: “It’s absolutely essential that a safe passage is created quickly, we need a cessation of fighting for at least two days in order to move vital supplies in, but also to assess the health needs. We anticipate the worst.”
  1. Wide shot, podium speaker seated and following the press briefing in the middle, TV screens on both left and right side of showing speakers.
  2. Medium shot, two masked participants listening to the press briefing.
  3. Medium shot, side angle of two masked participants in foreground, TV screen showing the speaker in background.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights' Jeremy Laurence and Pia Oberoi on abuses at scamming operations ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office has published a report on the grave human rights abuses suffered by the hundreds of thousands of people trafficked into scam operations mostly in southeast Asia. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Marta Hurtado on Haiti report ENG FRA

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Marta Hurtado briefed journalists on a UN report detailing child trafficking by gangs and how it is putting Haiti’s future at risk. 

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO , IFRC , UN WOMEN

Ukraine 4 years of war – UN Women, IFRC, WHO ENG FRA

Ukraine’s women at breaking point after four years of war as attacks on energy, healthcare continue – UN humanitarians

Four years into Russia’s full-scale invasion, millions in Ukraine struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes, with the crisis taking a particular toll on women, humanitarians warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.