Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
STORYLINE
WHO in Gaza: We are close by humanity’s darkest hour, the bombing must stop now
Amid intensifying Israel bombardments in the southern Gaza Strip, the UN health agency expressed deep concern on Tuesday that “we are close by humanity’s darkest hour, this bombing must stop now, we need a sustained ceasefire”.
Speaking from the city of Rafah in southern Gaza, the World Health Organization (WHO’s) representative on the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Dr. Richard Pepperkorn, said that the situation was “getting worse by the hour. This intensified bombing is going on all around, including in the southern area of Khan Younis and even at Rafah.” He added that over the last couple of days, “a vastly increasing number of IDPs” (internally displaced people) had moved from the so-called Middle area and even now to certain areas … more to the south.”
According to WHO data, in less than 60 days of war, around 16,000 people have been killed, 60 per cent of them children and women. A child is killed every 10 minutes in Gaza, the UN health agency said.
Stressing the need for the protection of hospitals in this ongoing bombardment, Dr. Peeperkorn said that “we are looking at an increasing humanitarian disaster. We cannot afford what had happened in the north, the one-by-one non- functionality of hospitals, it absolutely cannot happen in the south.”
The WHO official stressed that the agency was making sure that sustained supplies were coming in and that the number of beds would be increased from 1,400 to 2,500.” However, he said that “for the situation we are in, we actually need 5,000 beds, we are not getting there”.
Speaking from Cairo, spokesperson for the UN Children’s Fund, James Elder, stressed that “this war on children has resumed with a ferocity at scale beyond anything we've seen in the South and certainly at a horrendous power of anything in the North”.
The UN humanitarian also questioned the designation of “so-called safe areas” for Gazan civilians by the Israeli military as nowhere is safe.
“In the current context of the so-called safe zones, they are not scientific, they are not rational. They are not possible. And I think the authorities are aware of this,” Mr. Elder said. “I think it's callous, I think it's cold and I think it reinforces the indifference towards children and women in Gaza. And I've seen in hospitals from the South to the North that that indifference is lethal. It's heartbreaking and it's confounding.”
Mr. Elder told journalists in Geneva via video link that “in this specific case of Gaza, Israel is the occupying power. It's there, you have to provide food, water, medicines. So now, given we're talking about hundreds of thousands of people, right now this minute people who are moving somewhere with bombardments at scale, 200 a day yesterday, aerial bombardments as we speak, the only possible way to create safe spaces in Gaza that are truly safe, that protect human life, is for the hell to stop raining down from the sky. Only a ceasefire, only a ceasefire is going to save the children of Gaza right now.”
According to the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, at least 19 additional colleagues had been killed during airstrikes, bringing the total number to 130 since 7 October.
-ends-
STORY: UNOG NEWS Gaza Humanitarian situation UNICEF WHO
TRT: 3:19”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 05 December 2023 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.