Sudan: Hunger forces more displacement as UN-hosted talks continue
Time is running out for starving civilians in Sudan, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday, while talks involving the country’s warring parties continue in Geneva this week.
The UN World Health Organization (WHO)’s representative to Sudan, Dr. Shible Sahbani, told journalists that during his mission to neighbouring Chad last week, desperate refugees told him that “the main reason they left Sudan now is hunger, is famine”.
“They said it’s not insecurity, it’s not lack of access to basic services, but because we have nothing to eat there,” he stressed.
Speaking from Port Sudan, Dr. Sahbani spoke of his shock when a woman who had fled Darfur and reached Adré just past Chad’s eastern border told him that “whatever we use to produce [food] locally, to eat, was taken by fighters”. She had walked for three days with her children in search of safety, without food for the entire journey.
Chad hosts over 700,000 of the more than two million refugees who have escaped the war in Sudan, while over 10 million others are internally displaced within the country.
WHO stressed that those who fled the conflict to neighbouring countries continue to face “extremely limited” access to humanitarian assistance, including health care.
The host community and Government in Chad have been “very generous,” Dr. Sahbani said. “They welcomed the refugees, they opened their homes, their systems. But, you know, the systems were already overstretched and they tried to share whatever they have. But at a certain point now the system is really overwhelmed.”
The Chadians he spoke to last week said that they had nothing left to share, and that situation was already difficult in the country before Sudan’s conflict erupted in April 2023.
Dr. Sahbani also stressed the need to scale up cross-border operations towards the Darfur states of Sudan, where there has been very little aid access since the start of the conflict.
“Darfur, Al Jazirah, the Kordofans are completely cut off from humanitarian assistance due to the escalating violence”, he said, highlighting in particular the dire conditions in North Darfur’s capital El Fasher, where some 800,000 people are “completely besieged with no access to humanitarian aid, including urgent health assistance”.
The UN health agency representative warned of a potential “disaster” if aid teams cannot reach them. The situation is getting even more desperate as the rainy season has just started, making access “even worse” for cross-border operations from Chad, he said.
Dr. Sahbani underscored the need for more financial support, as almost seven months into the year the humanitarian response in Sudan remains only 26 per cent funded. He called more attention for this crisis, “one of the worst in the world”.
Humanitarian access and protection of civilians are among the main points under discussion at the UN-led talks between representatives from the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces taking place in Geneva since last week under the leadership of the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy for Sudan, Ramtane Lamamra.
UN Geneva spokesperson Alessandra Vellucci told journalists that both delegations were “engaged” and that Mr. Lamamra and his team have had several interactions with each of the two delegations throughout the weekend, as part of a process known as proximity talks.
“We got good signs,” said Dr. Sahbani when asked about his impressions on the talks, which are continuing this week. He said that seven WHO trucks are currently “moving from [the] Kordofans towards Darfur”, with the hope of reaching various locations including El Fasher. These trucks had been “stuck in Ad Debbah”, in Sudan’s Northern State, for almost a month and were only released on Monday.
“It can be promising,” he said of the ongoing discussions. “Let’s wait for the coming hours, days,” he insisted.
“If we don’t get [a] ceasefire, at least we could get the protection of civilians and the opening of humanitarian corridors.”
-Ends -
STORY: Sudan health update - WHO
TRT: 2:32”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH /NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 16 JULY 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.
2. Wide shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; journalists in the Press room.
3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “The main reason they left Sudan now is hunger, is famine. This is the main reason why they left, they said it’s not insecurity, it’s not lack of access to basic services, but because we have nothing to eat there.”
4. Wide lateral shot: Speaker at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “I was really shocked when I was discussing with one woman who said that whatever we use to produce locally there, to eat, was taken by fighters. So we have no choice other [than] to leave the country. She fled Darfur to come to Chad. She walked for three days with her children with no food during the three days.”
6. Wide lateral shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screen.
7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “The host community in Chad and also the Chad Government, they were very generous. They welcomed the refugees, they opened their homes, their systems. But, you know, the systems were already overstretched and they tried to share whatever they have. But at a certain point now the system is really overwhelmed.”
8. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “I want to highlight the situation in El Fasher, where around 800,000 people are completely besieged there with no access to humanitarian aid, including urgent health assistance.”
10. Wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.
11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “We got good signs. As we speak now, I have seven trucks moving from [the] Kordofans towards Darfur, they were released just yesterday, they were stuck in Ad Debbah for a few weeks there, for almost one month.”
12. Wide lateral shot: Speaker at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Shible Sahbani, Representative to Sudan, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “It can be promising. Let’s wait for the coming hours, days. And we hope that we can get… If we don’t get [a] ceasefire, at least we can get the protection of civilians and the opening of humanitarian corridors.”
14. Close shots: Journalists in the Press room.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.