Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC 04 April 2025
/
2:32
/
MP4
/
297.8 MB
Download

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

“In the days following the deadly earthquake that tore through central Myanmar last week, the Myanmar military continued operations and attacks, including airstrikes – some of which were launched shortly after tremors subsided,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
“We urge a halt to all military operations and for the focus to be on assisting those impacted by the quake,” she told journalists in Geneva, reiterating Mr. Türk’s call for an “inclusive political solution” to end more than four years of fighting sparked by the junta’s February 2021 coup d’état.

Latest data from the UN human rights office, OHCHR, points to at least 61 reported attacks across Myanmar since the disaster happened, including 16 since the ceasefire announced by the military took effect on 2 April.

The tactics of the military – known as the Tatmadaw in Myanmar – include using near-silent adapted paragliders to bomb communities, said James Rodehaver, Head of OHCHR’s Myanmar team: “What those are is an individual military operative who uses a hang-glider with a backpack attached to his back or to his torso with a large fan on it and he uses that to essentially paraglide using the fan as a motor over areas and drop hand-held bombs or munitions onto targets below.”

The development follows an urgent call by UN Secretary-General António Guterres for immediate and unrestricted humanitarian access to the country after the disaster claimed more than 3,000 lives and left millions in urgent need of aid.

Speaking to reporters at UN Headquarters in New York, the UN chief warned that the earthquake had “supercharged the suffering...Myanmar today is the scene of utter devastation and desperation,” he said

The regions most impacted by the earthquake which struck at approximately 12.50pm local time on 28 March are Mandalay – the country’s second city and home to 1.2 million people – Sagaing, Nay Pyi Taw, Bago, Magway, Shan South and East.

Assessments have shown widespread destruction across central Myanmar to critical infrastructure - including health facilities, road networks and bridges.

In an update, the UN World Health Organization also reported that electricity and water supplies remain disrupted, worsening access to health services and heightening risks of waterborne and foodborne disease outbreaks.

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR – which issued an appeal on Friday for $16 million to support 1.2 million survivors - said that up to 80 per cent of structures in Mandalay are estimated to have collapsed.

Spokesperson Babar Baloch explained that the UN agency has already deployed existing emergency relief including plastic sheets and kitchen sets for 25,000 survivors in Mandalay, Sagaing and Bago regions, as well as the capital, Nay Pyi Taw, and parts of Shan State.

UN partner the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) meanwhile reported that 136 townships have been affected by the earthquake “and about 25 per cent are in areas not controlled by the Government, so that's complicating the access”.

Echoing those concerns, Ms. Shamdasani from the UN human rights office said that the scale of the disaster had been made worse by the information blackout caused by internet and telecommunications shutdowns “imposed by the military”.

ends

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley
  2. Wide shot of podium with speakers.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “In the days following the deadly earthquake that tore through central Myanmar last week, the Myanmar military continued operations and attacks, including airstrikes – some of which were launched shortly after tremors subsided.
  4. Wide shot, Press room, podium speakers, TV screens, journalists.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – James Rodehaver, Head of Myanmar team (from Bangkok): “Out of those 61 or so that I've just mentioned, there are 16 of those attacks that have happened since the ceasefire that was announced by the military took effect, which I believe was midnight on 2 April.”
  6. Wide shot, Press room, podium speakers, TV screens, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “Sources from the ground describe a catastrophic humanitarian situation in earthquake-hit areas, especially those outside the military’s control; an absence of relief efforts and a lack of clean water, food and medicine.”
  8. Wide, podium speakers, journalists, TV screens, TV journalists.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Arnaud Debaecque, Head of ICRC Delegation in Myanmar (from Yangon): “We have about 136 townships that have been affected by the earthquake and about 25 per cent are in areas not controlled by the Government, so that's complicating the access.”
  10. Medium, Press room participant.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – James Rodehaver, Head of Myanmar team (from Bangkok): “Essentially what those are is an individual military operative who uses a hang-glider with a backpack attached to his back or to his torso with a large fan on it and he uses that to essentially paraglide using the fan as a motor over areas and drop hand-held bombs or munitions onto targets below.”
  12. Medium, podium speakers, TV screen.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Babar Baloch, spokesperson, UNHCR: “In this city of Mandalay, which was close to the epicentre, it's estimated that up to 80 per cent of structures in the town have collapsed.”
  14. Wide, Press room.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, OHCHR: “The scale of the disaster has been exacerbated by an information blackout, due to internet and telecommunications shutdowns imposed by the military.”
  16. Medium, TV journalist filming.
  17. Medium, journalist.
  18. Wide, TV journalists, control booths to rear.


Audio Files 1
Download Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC 04 April 2025 (Edited Story)
Download

Similar Stories

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.

 

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG , WFP

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report ENG FRA

The Government of Israel has ramped up settlement of the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, transferring its own population into the territory and unlawfully demolishing Palestinian homes. At the same time settler violence has increased with continued impunity, the UN Human Rights Office said on Tuesday.