Syrian Constitutional Committee - Arrivals 29AUG2020
/
1:44
/
MP4
/
131.6 MB

Edited News , Press Conferences

Meeting of the Small Body of the Syrian Constitutional Committee: Arrivals and press conferences

  • Edited footage of Geir Pedersen’s comments to the Press, including the participants arriving at UN Geneva earlier
  • Edited footage of participants arriving at UN Geneva earlier
  • Continuity of Mr Pedersen’s comments in EN
  • Continuity of opposition co-chair Hadi Albahra’s comments (he spoke mainly in AR but with some EN).
  • UN Syria negotiator welcomes ‘commonalities’ shared by Syrians in Geneva talks

    Syrian opponents meeting in Geneva as part of efforts to find a peaceful end to nearly a decade of conflict in their country have found common ground on which to pursue further discussions, UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen said on Saturday.

    Speaking to journalists in the Swiss city after a week of “challenging” stop-start talks, interrupted by the discovery that four participants had tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, Geir Pedersen insisted that “several areas of commonalities” had been found.

    “There are still very strong disagreements and you know, my Syrian friends are never afraid of expressing those disagreements. But I was also, you know, extremely pleased to hear the two co-chairs saying very clearly that they thought also there were quite a few areas of commonalities. And what I’m looking forward to is hopefully when we meet again, that we will be able to build on those commonalities and bring the process further forward.”

    He added: “I am confident that we have been able to build a little bit of confidence, a little bit of trust and that we can build on this and continue the work that we have started, we would see progress in the work of the committee. But as I have said, progress is happening, it’s of course up to the Syrians themselves within the Committee.”

    Hoped-for trust-building gestures from the Syrian Government and the opposition including progress on the release of abductees and detainees had been elusive, he said. “The issue of abductees, detainees and missing persons as you know, has been one of my so-called five priorities from when I started, and it’s an area where I’m afraid we haven’t seen enough progress. But of course, it is my hope that with the continued calm on the ground and with progress on the political track, that we could also see some progress on this front.”

    Highlighting the keen global interest in the Geneva process, given the presence of several major regional and international nations inside Syria, the Special Envoy reiterated his call for a nationwide ceasefire, beyond the fragile truce largely holding in Syria’s northwest.

    “It is calmer and that is obviously conducive to the talks that we are having,” Mr. Pedersen insisted. “But at the same time, I think we have agreed the principle that the talks that are happening here in Geneva do not depend on the situation on the ground. We are, you know, in all my briefings to the Security Council, this is one of the key issues I am addressing, and appealing for the parties to make sure that we develop this calm into what we have called in line with Security Council Resolution 2254, a nationwide ceasefire.”

    The third session of the UN-facilitated Syria Constitutional Committee (small body) discussions convened in Geneva after a nine-month break, caused by differences over the agenda which were resolved by March, and then by COVID restrictions.

    Earlier negotiations to decide the make-up of the Constitutional Committee (larger body) were held in Geneva at the end of October 2019.

    The committee comprises 150 participants, 50 from the Syrian Government, 50 from the opposition and 50 from civil society – the so-called “middle third” - who hail from different religious, ethnic and geographical backgrounds.

    Under the Committee’s rules of procedure and terms of reference agreed by participants, the small group of 45 people is tasked with preparing and drafting proposals.

    These are then discussed and adopted by the 150-member larger body, although the 75 per cent decision-making threshold means that no single bloc can dictate the Committee’s outcomes.

    At the start of the week, Mr. Pedersen told journalists that meetings had been “constructive” and that a “clear agenda” for the session had been agreed.

    Owing to the interruption caused by the COVID-19 development, Mr. Pedersen explained that he would continue discussing the agenda for the Committee’s next meeting separately with the two co-chairs, Ahmad Kuzbari from the Government and Hadi Albahra for the opposition.

    But as the UN-facilitated process belonged to the Syrian people and their representatives, it was up to them set a new date for the next round of talks, the Special Envoy insisted.

    He also reiterated his confidence that the process would result in a fair representation of the wishes of all Syrians, in line with its terms of reference agreed by the co-chairs.

    “It is stated in the terms of reference that to be able to proceed in the end we would need consensus or a 75 per cent majority,” he said. “And this is of course something in place exactly to be able so that we can move – that all the sides know that they cannot force their views upon the other – if we are to reach, you know a new constitutional reform, it will have to be built as I said either on a strong consensus or bringing people together with a 75 per cent majority.”

Shotlist of the Edited footage of Geir Pedersen’s comments to the Press, including the participants arriving at UN Geneva earlier:

  1. Medium shot: Syrian Constitutional Committee participants arriving by minibus, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  2. Medium shot: Syrian Constitutional Committee participants arriving by minibus, led by Opposition co-chair Hadi Albahra, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  3. Medium shot: Syrian Constitutional Committee participants arriving by minibus, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  4. Medium shot: Syrian Constitutional Committee participants arriving by minivan, led by Government of Syria co-chair Ahmad Kuzbari, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  5. SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen: “There are still very strong disagreements and you know, my Syrian friends are never afraid of expressing those disagreements. But I was also, you know, extremely pleased to hear the two co-chairs saying very clearly that they thought also there were quite a few areas of commonalities. And what I’m looking forward to is hopefully when we meet again, that we will be able to build on those commonalities and bring the process further forward.”.”
  6. Close-up: journalists’ hands typing on laptop, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  7. Medium shot: journalists wearing facemasks, seated, typing on laptops, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  8. SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen: “I am confident that we have been able to build a little bit of confidence, a little bit of trust and that we can build on this and continue the work that we have started, we would see progress in the work of the committee. But as I have said, progress is happening, it’s of course up to the Syrians themselves within the Committee.”
  9. Medium shot: journalist wearing facemask, seated, typing on laptop, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  10. Close-up: journalist’s hands typing on laptop, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  11. SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen: “It is calmer and that is obviously conducive to the talks that we are having. But at the same time, I think we have agreed the principle that the talks that are happening here in Geneva do not depend on the situation on the ground. We are, you know, in all my briefings to the Security Council, this is one of the key issues I am addressing, and appealing for the parties to make sure that we develop this calm into what we have called in line with Security Council Resolution 2254, a nationwide ceasefire.”
  12. Medium shot: journalists wearing facemasks, seated, worknig on laptops, with Special Envoy Pedersen listening via earpiece at podium, rear of shot, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  13. SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen: “No, the issue of abductees, detainees and missing persons as you know, has been one of my so-called five priorities from when I started, and it’s an area where I’m afraid we haven’t seen enough progress. But of course, it is my hope that with the continued calm on the ground and with progress on the political track, that we could also see some progress on this front.”
  14. Medium shot: video-journalist filming, Press Room III, UN Geneva.
  15. SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen: “It is stated in the terms of reference that to be able to proceed in the end we would need consensus or a 75 per cent majority. And this is of course something in place exactly to be able so that we can move – that all the sides know that they cannot force their views upon the other – if we are to reach, you know a new constitutional reform, it will have to be built as I said either on a strong consensus or bringing people together with a 75 per cent majority.”

Similar Stories

Myanmar earthquake response   OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

1

1

1

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC ENG FRA

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 04 April 2025

1

1

1

Press Conferences | ICRC , IOM , ITC , OHCHR , UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 04 April 2025 ENG FRA

Rolando Gómez, Chief of the Press and External Relations at the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the spokespersons and representatives of the United Nations Mine Action Service, the International Organization for Migration, the International Trade Centre, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United Nations Refugee Agency, the World Health Organization, and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 1 April 2025

1

1

1

Press Conferences | IFRC , OCHA , UNCTAD , UNFPA , UNHCR , UNICEF , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 1 April 2025 ENG FRA

Alessandra Vellucci of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired the hybrid briefing, attended by spokespersons and representatives of the United Nations Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Populations Fund, the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Press Conferences | OCHA , UNHCR , UNWOMEN , WHO , IFRC

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Updates on Gaza, women in Gaza, health crises, and funding cuts for displaced people.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 25 March 2025

1

1

1

Press Conferences | UNCTAD , UNDP , UNICEF , UNIDIR , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 25 March 2025 ENG FRA

Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the representatives and spokespersons of the United Nations Children’s Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Institute on Disarmament Research, UNICEF/Giga, and the World Health Organization.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Press Conferences | UNRWA , IFRC , UNICEF , OHCHR , UNHCR , WHO

UN Geneva Press Briefing - 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by representatives and spokespersons of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United Nations Refugee Agency, the World Health Organization, and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies