Special Envoy for Syria Geir O Pedersen - Ceasefire Message
/
3:02
/
MP4
/
226.9 MB

Edited News | UNOG

Special Envoy for Syria Geir O Pedersen - Ceasefire Message

UN Syria envoy appeals for nationwide ceasefire to halt COVID-19

An immediate ceasefire is needed in Syria to prevent the spread of COVID-19, top United Nations negotiator for Syria, Geir O Pedersen, said on Tuesday, as he reiterated his willingness to work with all warring parties to ensure that the truce holds.

In a recording made on his laptop computer to respect social distancing restrictions relating to the virus, Mr. Pedersen appealed “specifically for a complete, immediate nationwide ceasefire throughout Syria to enable an all-out-effort to suppress COVID-19 in Syria”.

The UN Envoy’s statement follows UN Secretary-General António Guterres’s appeal on Monday for a global ceasefire in a bid to focus on a common enemy: COVID-19.

On Syria specifically, Mr. Pedersen flagged that the country’s war-weary people were “acutely vulnerable” to the coronavirus epidemic, which has so far spread across the world, with more than 335,000 confirmed cases and over 14,500 fatalities.

Healthcare facilities have been destroyed, Mr. Pedersen said, while medical equipment and health professionals were “in short supply”. In addition, internally displaced persons and refugees were living in “especially dangerous” conditions, he cautioned.

“I have real concerns for the impact on Syrian women, who are already at the forefront of existing health and community support systems”, the UN envoy said.

Pointing out that this common threat “knows no boundaries”, does not discriminate or chose sides, Mr. Pedersen spelled out that it endangers all Syrians.

“To confront this danger, the long-suffering Syrian people desperately need a sustained period of calm throughout the country respected by all parties”, he stressed.

While welcoming precautionary measures that have been implemented in areas controlled by the Government and de facto authorities, Mr Pedersen said it was essential that such efforts “are scaled up now. There is not a day to lose.”

Returning to the obstacles standing in the way of efforts to secure a peaceful end to years of war that has likely killed hundreds of thousands of people and displaced millions, the Special Envoy reiterated his appeal for the release of prisoners, political and otherwise.

“I also appeal on humanitarian grounds for large-scale releases of detainees and abductees,” he said. “There must also be immediate access for relevant humanitarian organizations to all detention facilities, and urgent steps to ensure adequate medical care and protective measures in all places of detention.”

Amid dire humanitarian needs on the ground in Syria, particularly in the north-west – the last opposition-held enclave - Mr Pedersen also urged international donors “to fully support humanitarian efforts and respond to UN appeals”.

He added: “They will also need to do whatever must be done so that Syrians in all parts of the country have access to the equipment and resources needed to combat the virus and treat patients. Nothing should impede this.

“Full, sustained and unimpeded humanitarian access to all parts of the country will be key. And all modalities will be needed to deliver humanitarian assistance and scale up prevention and protection.

To implement the nationwide ceasefire and help Syrians to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, the veteran negotiator pledged his readiness “to work with the Government of Syria and the opposition and all the relevant players on the ground, as well as key countries with weight and influence who can support a scaling-up of action and ensure that the ceasefire holds.”

  • Wide shot: exterior, flag alley, Palais des Nations, United Nations Geneva.
  • SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen: “Today, I am appealing specifically for a complete, immediate nationwide ceasefire throughout Syria to enable an all-out-effort to suppress COVID-19 in Syria. Syrians are acutely vulnerable to COVID-19. Healthcare facilities have been destroyed or are degraded. There is a shortage of key medical equipment and health professionals. Internally displaced persons and refugees, as well as detainees and abductees, are living in conditions that are especially dangerous. I have real concerns for the impact on Syrian women, who are already at the forefront of existing health and community support systems. This common threat knows no boundaries. It does not discriminate. It does not care whether you live in areas controlled by the Syrian Government or other areas. It endangers all Syrians.”
  • Medium wide shot: UN Geneva flag alley, flags fluttering gently.
  • SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen: “Measures are being implemented in areas controlled by the Government to address this crisis. And actions are also being taken by de facto authorities in areas outside Government control. It is essential that such efforts are scaled up now. There is not a day to lose.”
  • Wide shot: UN Geneva flag alley, flags fluttering gently.
  • SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen: “I also appeal on humanitarian grounds for large-scale releases of detainees and abductees. There must also be immediate access for relevant humanitarian organizations to all detention facilities, and urgent steps to ensure adequate medical care and protective measures in all places of detention.”
  • Medium shot: UN Geneva flag alley, flagpoles, flags fluttering gently.
  • SOUNDBITE (EN) - UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen: “International donors will need to fully support humanitarian efforts and respond to UN appeals. They will also need to do whatever must be done so that Syrians in all parts of the country have access to the equipment and resources needed to combat the virus and treat patients. Nothing should impede this. Full, sustained and unimpeded humanitarian access to all parts of the country will be key. And all modalities will be needed to deliver humanitarian assistance and scale up prevention and protection. To implement the nationwide ceasefire and help Syrians to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, I am ready to work with the Government of Syria and the opposition and all the relevant players on the ground, as well as key countries with weight and influence who can support a scaling-up of action and ensure that the ceasefire holds.”
  • Medium wide shot: UN Geneva flag alley, flags fluttering gently either side of UN flag to rear.

Similar Stories

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.

 

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG , WFP

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report ENG FRA

The Government of Israel has ramped up settlement of the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, transferring its own population into the territory and unlawfully demolishing Palestinian homes. At the same time settler violence has increased with continued impunity, the UN Human Rights Office said on Tuesday.