STORYLINE
After a four-day-day pause in fighting between Israel and Hamas which started on Friday at 7 am local time, trucks carrying humanitarian deliveries entered the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing from Egypt bringing respite to the Gazans in the devastated Palestinian enclave, UN humanitarians said.
“The United Nations can confirm that, as I speak, trucks with humanitarian supplies continues to cross into Gaza through the Rafah crossing point,” said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN humanitarian affairs coordination office (OCHA). “We hope the agreement between Israel and Hamas now in force will bring respite to the people of Gaza and Israel and some relief to the hostages and detainees who will be released and to their families.”
As the death toll in the enclave passed 14,800 as of Thursday evening, according to Gaza’s Government Media Office quoted by OCHA, thousands of people are estimated to be trapped under the ruins of their houses.
Mr. Laerke said that “we hope that the truce will allows grieving families to honor the dead and bury them with dignity, and we hope that this humanitarian pause leads to a longer-term humanitarian cease fire for the benefit of the people of Gaza, Israel and beyond.”
UN had repeatedly stressed that the humanitarian agencies needed access all over the Strip, including in the north, where needs were the largest. It was expected that people in need would be reached wherever they were, but it was still too early to confirm when that would be possible.
OCHA’s spokesperson reiterated the importance to get “access across the Gaza Strip, especially in the north. That's where the damage and the humanitarian needs are the greatest. So, we continue to call for access to reach all parts of Gaza.”
OCHA reported that 75,000 litres of fuel entered Gaza from Egypt on Thursday, following an Israeli decision from 18 November to “allow the daily entry of small amounts of fuel for essential humanitarian operations”. The UN Office said last week that some 200,000 litres of fuel per day were needed.
“It is very important to get fuel in, to be able to operate any machinery that will be required to get people out of the rubble”, stressed Mr. Laerke. “We see that in all kinds of situations where you have massive infrastructural damage and collapse.”
Welcoming the humanitarian pause, although more was needed, UN health agency (WHO) spokesperson Christian Lindmeier said that “we're working on further evacuations from hospitals as soon as possible.” He reminded that “on 22 November, together with the Palestine Red Crescent Society, a joint UN mission evacuated 151 patients, relatives and health workers accompanying them from our chief hospital in northern Gaza. This was undertaken specifically following requests from health authorities and hospitals and hospital officials in Gaza.”
This was the third mission to Al-Shifa carried out by WHO and partners in less than a week; the first had been an assessment mission on 18 November and the second an evacuation mission to transport 31 infants on 19 November. WHO was working on further evacuations from hospitals.
“We are extremely concerned about the safety of the estimated 100 patients and health workers remaining at al-Shifa and due to the limited time that the mission members were able to spend in the hospital and the urgency of moving the most critical, it was difficult to determine exactly how many remain”, said Mr. Lindmeier.
Out of 24 hospitals operating in the north prior to the war, 22 are either out of service or unable to admit new patients, while of the 11 medical facilities in the south, eight are functional. WHO said that of those, only one has the capacity to treat critical trauma cases or perform complex surgery.
-ends-
STORY: Gaza Start of truce WHO - OCHA 24 November 2023
TRT: 2:40”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 10 November 2023 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
More info
1
1
1
Press Conferences | IFRC , OCHA , UNCTAD , UNFPA , UNHCR , UNICEF , WHO
Alessandra Vellucci of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired the hybrid briefing, attended by spokespersons and representatives of the United Nations Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Populations Fund, the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | OCHA , UNHCR , UNWOMEN , WHO , IFRC
Updates on Gaza, women in Gaza, health crises, and funding cuts for displaced people.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UNCTAD , UNDP , UNICEF , UNIDIR , WHO
Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the representatives and spokespersons of the United Nations Children’s Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Institute on Disarmament Research, UNICEF/Giga, and the World Health Organization.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS
Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UNRWA , IFRC , UNICEF , OHCHR , UNHCR , WHO
Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by representatives and spokespersons of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, the United Nations Children’s Fund, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United Nations Refugee Agency, the World Health Organization, and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
1
1
1
Press Conferences | HRC
Launch of the report by the Group of Independent Experts on the Human Rights Situation in Belarus
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC
The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.
2
23
1
1
Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS
Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres
UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | IFRC , OHCHR , WHO , WMO
Rolando Gómez, Chief of the Press and External Relations at the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the spokespersons and representatives of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the World Meteorological Organization, and the World Health Organization.
1
2
1
Press Conferences | HRC
Situation of human rights in Myanmar and the Special Rapporteur's latest update
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC , OHCHR
The Iranian Government has continued to ramp up efforts to restrict the rights of civilians including young children as part of a concerted effort to crush dissent, investigators mandated by the Human Rights Council insisted on Friday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | OSE , UNCTAD , WHO , UNICEF , IFRC , UNHCR
Michele Zaccheo, Chief of the TV, Radio and Webcast Section at the United Nations Information Service in Geneva, chaired a hybrid press briefing, which was attended by the representatives and spokespersons of the United Nations Children’s Fund, the World Health Organization, United Nations Trade and Development, the Office of the Special Envoy for Syria, and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.