Myanmar conflict – rights probe update 13 August 2024
/
2:18
/
MP4
/
170.7 MB
Transcripts
Teleprompter
Download

Edited News | UNITED NATIONS

Myanmar conflict – rights probe update 13 August 2024

Myanmar rights probe warns over ‘incredible brutality’ of warring forces

Conflict in Myanmar between the military junta and opposition forces is increasingly brutal, with both sides likely responsible for international crimes including summary executions, top independent rights investigators said on Tuesday.

In a call to regional bloc ASEAN to help end the violence and support efforts to bring perpetrators to justice, the head of the Human Rights Council-appointed probe into the Myanmar emergency, Nicholas Koumjian, described an increasingly “desperate” junta whose devastating military tactics were being matched by opposition fighters acting with total impunity.

“Aerial bombings have increased very substantially in this last year,” Mr. Koumjian told journalists in Geneva. “In Kayah state in February of this year, four children were killed and around 10 injured when fighter jets dropped bombs and deployed machine gun fire on the school.”

Mr. Koumjian added that his investigators had also seen a video “that showed resistance forces beheading two captured soldiers in Loikaw in Kayah state in November, December of last year”, along with another video posted on social media of two young men being burned to death in Magway region. “So, this kind of incredible brutality is going on,” he said.

The Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM) was created by the Human Rights Council in 2018 to collect evidence of the most serious international crimes committed in Myanmar since 2011. It released its latest annual report on Tuesday.

Civilians frequently targeted

“Unfortunately, what our report conveys is that the number of these crimes is only increasing and the armed conflict is increasing in intensity and in brutality and crimes are happening more and more frequently,” Mr. Koumjian noted.

The veteran rights expert and former international criminal justice prosecutor expressed his opinion that the junta which seized power in Myanmar on 1 February 2021 was becoming more “desperate” over the period covered by the report from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024 - a time when armed conflicts increased across Myanmar as challenges to military rule intensified. “The targets of these bombings are usually civilian targets,” Mr. Koumjian said. “Schools and churches and hospitals are often the only structures in the area and those are the structures…that are being bombed.”

ASEAN influence

In a direct appeal to the regional bloc ASEAN, Mr. Koumjian urged it to respond to “substantial evidence” that the Myanmar military was committing war crimes and crimes against humanity “at an alarming rate”, by putting pressure on the junta to halt the conflict.

ASEAN - a “very key player in Myanmar”, according to the human rights investigator – has drawn up a five-point consensus to end the fighting that has been signed by “the junta itself”. Nonetheless, “we see instead an increase in violence and an increase in the violence targeting civilians,” he said. “So, I think absolutely, it's time for ASEAN to put some bite into its consensus. It's not enough simply to say we support ending the violence, there have to be steps taken to ensure that, in fact, the violence has ended.”

Broad reach

The head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM) noted that the panel’s report was based on information and evidence collected from more than 900 sources, including more than 400 eyewitness testimonies, along with additional evidence such as photographs, videos, audio material, documents, maps, geospatial imagery, social media posts and forensic evidence.

Fighting impunity remains a core objective of the IIMM which has shared its findings and evidence with authorities at the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and in Argentina, Mr. Koumjian said.

Myanmar conflict – rights probe update

TRT: 2 min 17s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 13 AUGUST 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium: UN Geneva flag alley.
  2. Medium-wide, Press room, UN Geneva.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Nicholas Koumjian, Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM): “Aerial bombings have increased very substantially in this last year; in Kayah state in February of this year, four children were killed and around 10 injured when fighter jets dropped bombs and deployed machine gun fire on the school.”
  4. Medium-wide, Press room and podium speakers, UN Geneva.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Nicholas Koumjian, Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM): “We have a video that showed resistance forces beheading two captured soldiers in Loikaw in Kayah state in November, December of last year. So this kind of incredible brutality is going on.”
  6. Wide, Press room, UN Geneva.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Nicholas Koumjian, Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM): “Our mandate is to collect evidence of the most serious international crimes in Myanmar and unfortunately, what our report conveys is that the number of these crimes is only increasing and the armed conflict is increasing in intensity and in brutality and crimes are happening more and more frequently.”
  8. Medium-wide, Press room, UN Geneva.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Nicholas Koumjian, Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM): “There’s no doubt that the military, the junta, is becoming more desperate and we've seen, for example, this big increase in the use of aerial bombing and the targets of these bombings are usually civilian targets; schools and churches and hospitals are often the only structures in the area and those are the structures that are being - major structures - that are being bombed.”
  10. Medium-wide, Press room podium speakers.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Nicholas Koumjian, Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM): “We see an increase in the violence targeting civilians. So, I think absolutely, it's time for ASEAN to put some bite into its consensus. It's not enough simply to say we support ending the violence, there have to be steps taken to ensure that, in fact, the violence has ended.”
  12. Medium-wide, journalists, participants, one taking video on mobile phone.
  13. Medium-wide, participant taking video of proceedings.
  14. Medium, participant.


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download

Audio Files 1
Download Myanmar conflict – rights probe update 13 August 2024
Download

Similar Stories

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.

 

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG , WFP

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Head of OHCHR OPT office Ajith Sunghay on West Bank settlements report ENG FRA

The Government of Israel has ramped up settlement of the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, transferring its own population into the territory and unlawfully demolishing Palestinian homes. At the same time settler violence has increased with continued impunity, the UN Human Rights Office said on Tuesday.