Thousands continue to flee DR Congo violence seeking shelter in Uganda
Thousands of people fleeing murderous attacks in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have crossed into neighbouring Uganda, the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, said on Tuesday.
“More than 3,000 refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo arrived in Uganda between Wednesday and Friday last week during a temporary opening of two border crossing points at Golajo and Mount Zeu, north-western Uganda,” said Charlie Yaxley, UNHCR spokesperson.
“The new arrivals were previously part of a larger group of approximately 45,000 people, according to local DRC authorities,” he continued, adding that they had attempted to flee towards the Ugandan border “shortly after deadly clashes erupted between armed militia groups in Ituri province on 17 and 18 May”.
The development comes amid intensifying violence attributed to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in the last 18 months, particularly in Ituri province, as well as deadly intercommunal violence involving Hema and Lendu people.
The ADF attacks have left more than 793 people dead and dozens of others injured, according to the UN human rights office, OHCHR, which said on Monday that the violence may amount to crimes against humanity and war crimes.
The UNHCR official’s comments echoed reports that civilians had endured unspeakable horrors at the hands of the ADF, whose intention appears to have been “to leave no survivors”, according to a report by the UN Joint Human Rights Office in the DRC (UNJHRO).
It detailed a “systematic and brutal” campaign of violence by ADF forces, who have been active in Beni territory, North Kivu province, for more than three decades.
Their move into Ituri province follows military campaigns against them, particularly since October 2019, forcing them to disperse into small groups and flee to other areas, especially to Irumu territory in neighbouring Ituri province.
According to the UNJHRO report, ADF assailants used heavy weaponry during attacks against villages, including AK47s and mortars, and also machetes and knives.
They also burned down villages, destroyed health centres and schools and abducted and recruited women and children.
“Some of the refugees shared heart-wrenching accounts of militia attacks on their villages (with) our staff,” said Mr. Yaxley. “Many of them told us that they were separated from their families and had little time to pack any belongings or look for family members before fleeing. Very few were able to carry personal items and most fled barefoot with only the clothes they were wearing.”
Speaking in Geneva, the UNHCR official noted that 65 per cent of the new arrivals in Uganda were children, along with 33 pregnant women, two of whom were immediately taken to a health centre last week to give birth.
While some of those waiting at the Ugandan border had returned home, others stayed close to the border, unable to cross for more than a month, owing to border closures on the Uganda side to contain the spread of COVID-19.
To date, Ugandan authorities have conducted new coronavirus testing “with the first 570 samples returning negative”, Mr. Yaxley said.
He added that UNHCR “welcomes the decision of the Government of Uganda to allow the group of refugees to enter the country and receive lifesaving aid and protection. This effort demonstrates how, through quarantines, health screenings and other measures, States can uphold their obligations under international law during the pandemic, while at the same time limiting potential transmission of the virus.”
Following the mandatory quarantine period of 14 days, in line with national guidelines and protocols, asylum-seekers will be transported to existing refugee settlements.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC
UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR
Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians
As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO
Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished
In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS
Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC
Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC
The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.
2
23
1
1
Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS
Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres
UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.
1
62
1
2
Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG
Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG , WFP
The Government of Israel has ramped up settlement of the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, transferring its own population into the territory and unlawfully demolishing Palestinian homes. At the same time settler violence has increased with continued impunity, the UN Human Rights Office said on Tuesday.