As heavy fighting continues to be reported along the line of contact in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region having caused huge human suffering, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) today urged Armenia and Azerbaijan to finalize arrangements in order to facilitate the handover of bodies of those killed and to handle the release of detainees.
A fragile humanitarian ceasefire, brokered by Russia, went into effect on Saturday but was almost immediately broken, with both Armenian and Azerbaijan accusing each other of fresh attacks.
Speaking at a news conference today at the United Nations in Geneva, Martin Schüepp, ICRC Eurasia Regional Director said that “it is our hope that the humanitarian ceasefire agreement will be abided by and that it will translate into meaningful relief for those affected. As such, the International Committee of the Red Cross remains ready to facilitate the hand-over of bodies of those killed in action or the release of detainees. The sides, however, need to agree on a format between themselves”.
Since the latest violence erupted in late September, artillery strikes have reportedly hit a number of cities, towns and villages. The disputed territory, home to about 150,000 people, is an ethnic Armenian enclave and is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan by all countries, including Armenia. But the people of Nagorno-Karabakh – an overwhelming majority of whom are ethnic Armenians- want to govern themselves or to join Armenia.
Since the ICRC started working in connection with the Nagorno-Karabagh conflict in 1992, the organization has repeatedly helped authorities with such operations. ”Subsequent to this agreement in Moscow, we have continued to be in contact with the sides proposing our services as a neutral intermediary to facilitate the exchange of bodies or – if agreed by the parties – of course also of prisoners”, said ICRC’s Martin Schüepp.
Currently, the organization has roughly 200 staff throughout the region, half of them on both sides of the line of contact and they are trying to bring in additional staff.
Their focus is on the plight of civilians affected by the fighting, said Martin Schüepp. “We estimate that already hundreds of thousands of people across the region are directly or indirectly affected. Civilians are dying or suffering live changing injuries. Homes, businesses and once busy streets are being reduced to rubble”.
ICRC is currently trying to make an assessment. However, the security situation and the continued fighting has limited the access to all the areas.
”In terms of our humanitarian response, we are working throughout the region to ease the suffering of those caught up in this. We are, for example, distributing emergency cash assistance or hygiene kits to hundreds of families, we are providing emergency medical kits to hospitals and forensic support to authorities, and we are trying to do field assessments wherever we can”, Martin Schüepp said.
Today the World Health Organisation has informed that both countries have seen an increase in Covid-19 cases: Armenia’s numbers have doubled over the past week and the numbers of infected people in Azerbaijan increased by 80 % over last week.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC
UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR
Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians
As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO
Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished
In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS
Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC
Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.
2
1
2
Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC
The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.
2
23
1
1
Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS
Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres
UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.
1
62
1
2
Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG
Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG , WFP
The Government of Israel has ramped up settlement of the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, transferring its own population into the territory and unlawfully demolishing Palestinian homes. At the same time settler violence has increased with continued impunity, the UN Human Rights Office said on Tuesday.