UNOG NEWS Gaza health update WHO 09JUL2024
/
2:03
/
MP4
/
150.5 MB
Teleprompter
Download

Edited News | WHO

Gaza health update: WHO

Gazans reeling from intensified malnutrition, heat risks

In Gaza, soaring temperatures, hunger and unsanitary conditions present an ever more deadly threat to a population under constant attack, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

Briefing journalists in Geneva, UN World Health Organization (WHO) spokesperson Tarik Jašarević said that according to the enclave’s health authorities, 34 people have died of malnutrition and dehydration, and “in [northern Gaza’s] Kamal Adwan hospital alone, 60 cases of severe acute malnutrition were detected last week”.

“Malnutrition is definitely one of the factors that reduces the immunity, especially of the vulnerable population, elderly and children, who then can’t really cope with any disease, any pathogen that they can get,” he warned, describing a “vicious circle of not having access to enough food, to clean water, to clean sanitation, not having access to basic health services”.

Beyond the direct consequences of the Israeli military’s relentless bombardment and shelling which continued overnight into Tuesday, “everyone in Gaza” is at risk of getting sick and dying for lack of care, Mr. Jašarević said. The situation is particularly dire for pregnant women, people living with chronic diseases such as cancer or diabetes, injured people who are not treated on time and children threatened by waterborne diseases.

The WHO spokesperson reiterated the agency’s appeal for the opening of all border crossings into the enclave, in order to enable desperately needed medical evacuations. “More than 10,000 people need to receive specialized medical care outside of Gaza. These people cannot wait,” he insisted.

The flow of medical relief is also at a standstill and the UN health agency said that none of its trucks passed last week into Gaza.

Asked about the current state of health facilities in the Strip, Mr. Jašarević said that hospitals were being either evacuated or destroyed by bombing, with no possibility of rebuilding as hostilities continue. According to an update from the UN’s humanitarian affairs coordination office OCHA on Monday, patients and medical staff evacuated three hospitals in southern Gaza in just one week, “in fear of intensified military activities that could render the health facilities non-functional or inaccessible”.

Mr. Jašarević paid tribute to the dedication of health workers who afterwards return to the facilities once they feel secure enough, to try and get vital services running again. Out of Gaza’s 36 hospitals, 13 are “partially functioning”, he said.

The UN health agency reported that the total capacity at the six partially functional hospitals in southern Gaza, including three in Deir al Balah and three in Khan Younis, now stands at only 1,334 beds. Out of 11 field hospitals in the Gaza Strip, three had to temporarily shut down and four are only partially functioning, “due to the hostilities in Rafah and reduced access”, WHO said.

Regarding the hospital infrastructure, “the level of destruction is such that it is difficult to even imagine how much time will it take [to rebuild] once the war is over,” Mr. Jašarević stressed.

- - Ends -

STORY: Gaza health update - WHO

TRT: 2:03”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / FRENCH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 09 JULY 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO):According to the Ministry of Health, 34 people have died of malnutrition and dehydration so far. In Kamal Adwan hospital alone, 60 cases of severe acute malnutrition were detected last week.”

4. Wide lateral shot: Journalists and speaker on screens in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO):Malnutrition is definitely one of the factors that reduces the immunity, especially of the vulnerable population, elderly and children, who then can’t really cope with any disease, any pathogen that they can get. So it’s really, it’s a vicious circle of not having access to enough food, to clean water, to clean sanitation, not having access to basic health services.”

6. Wide lateral shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screen.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO):We keep appealing for opening of all crossings into Gaza. More than 10,000 people need to receive specialized medical care outside of Gaza. These people cannot wait.”

8. Medium shot: Wide lateral shot: speaker at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (French) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Ce qu’ils font, les travailleurs de santé, les médecins à Gaza, c’est de revenir quand ils se sentent en sécurité, ils reviennent sur les lieux et ils essaient de redémarrer certains services. Donc maintenant, de 36 hôpitaux à Gaza il n’y a que 13 qui fonctionnent de manière partielle.”

10. Wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.

11. SOUNDBITE (French) – Tarik Jašarević, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Pour ce qui est de l’infrastructure, ça c’est vraiment très difficile, parce que le niveau de destruction est tel qu’il est difficile même d’imaginer combien de temps cela va prendre une fois la guerre [est] finie.”

12. Close shots: Journalists in the Press room.

13. Wide shot: Cameraperson and technicians' booths in the Press room.


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download

Audio Files 2
Download Gaza health update: WHO (Edited Story)
Download
Download UNOG NEWS Gaza health update WHO 09JUL2024
Download

Similar Stories

Myanmar earthquake response   OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

1

1

1

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC ENG FRA

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.