Venezuela -Fact Finding Mission Report
/
2:39
/
MP4
/
198.2 MB

Edited News | UNITED NATIONS

Venezuela - Fact Finding Mission Report

Venezuela: Human Rights Council-appointed fact-finding report urges accountability for crimes against humanity

Rights violations against anti-Government protesters in Venezuela “amounted to crimes against humanity”, UN-appointed rights investigators have said in their first report.

Announcing their findings on Wednesday, the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Venezuela cited evidence of unlawful executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions and torture since 2014.

Senior military and ministerial figures were likely aware of the crimes, said the investigators, who were appointed by the Human Rights Council in Geneva, in September last year.

“They gave orders, coordinated activities and supplied resources in furtherance of the plans and policies under which the crimes were committed,” the report stated.

Marta Valiñas, chairperson of the FFM, highlighted the extent of atrocities committed in Venezuela since 2014 until today. “The UN Human Right Council in September of last year, investigated and documented extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions and torture and other inhumane or degrading treatment, including sexual and gender-based violence.”

President Nicolas Maduro also likely “side-tracked the chain of command” to ensure the commission of crimes, involving the head of the Bolivarian National Intelligence Service (SEBIN), the report’s authors maintained.

“We have involvement and contribution to the crime by Mr Maduro, either directly through the chain of command and sometimes circumventing the chain of command and giving the direct order,” said investigator Francisco Cox.

Paul Seils, the third member of the FFM added that the Mission had “reasonable grounds to believe that even in specific operation planning, high-level officials, including senior military and ministerial levels, were also involved”.

The investigators added that they had reasonable grounds to believe that “many of those detained in the context of those protests was subject to torture, cruel and inhuman degrading treatment.”

Ms. Valiñas explained that close to 2,500 incidents involving close to 4,600 deaths were linked to security forces. “This provides the context to what are the violations that we document in the report and that we consider are extrajudicial executions.”

Mr. Seils added that few individuals had been prosecuted in Venezuela for crimes covered in the report.

“There is as far as we can see no record of any serious investigation into those with a higher level of responsibility in terms of organising crime and instigating these kinds of crimes that have been committed”, he said, adding that “the International Criminal Court has already indicated that it’s examining that position and I think one can assume it stands ready to make a decision”.

The panel’s work, which was carried out without the cooperation of the Venezuelan Government, despite official requests, is contained in a 411-page report covering more than 220 cases.

Thousands more files were also reviewed which identified “patterns of violations …that were highly coordinated” by the authorities.

These included crime-fighting operations by the State, “politically motivated detention and torture” by State intelligence agencies, and the “increasingly violent response” to mass opposition protests including last year.

Alleged violations included the killing of 36 protesters, as well as torture in detention, including beatings and humiliation, sexual and gender-based violence and mock executions.

State authorities had also failed to intervene in several cases where protesters were killed by armed civilian groups known as “colectivos”, the report’s authors noted, amid an increased State “reliance on military-civilian coordination to maintain public order in recent years”.

The Mission’s report is due to be presented to the Human Rights Council on Wednesday 23 September.

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a beautiful day.
  2. SOUNDBITE (English) — Marta Valiñas, chairperson of the FFM (Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela): “Over the past months, the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, in accordance with the mandate it was given by the UN Human Rights Council in September of last year, investigated and documented extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions and torture and other inhuman or degrading treatment, including sexual and gender-based violence, committed in Venezuela since 2014 to the present.”
  3. Medium shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a beautiful day.
  4. SOUNDBITE (English) — Francisco Cox Vial, member of the FFM (Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela): “We have involvement and contribution to the crime by Mr Maduro, either directly through the chain of command and sometimes circumventing the chain of command and giving the direct order. But as we said, what we have reasonable grounds to believe is that this is a State policy, it’s not just a random acts of officials in SEBIN, but it is a political decision to target political opposition to quash this opposition.”
  5. Exterior medium shot, scooter passing in front of Palais des Nations entrance, UN Geneva.
  6. SOUNDBITE (English) — Paul Seils, member of the FFM (Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela): “The mission has reasonable grounds to believe that even in specific operational planning, high-level officials, including senior military and ministerial levels, were also involved. The Mission has looked in close detail at almost 100 cases of protests, and it has reasonable grounds to believe that many of those detained in the context of those protests was subjected to torture, cruel, inhumane, degrading treatment.”
  7. Exterior wide shot, Place des Nations and Palais des Nation main entrance.
  8. SOUNDBITE (English) — Marta Valiñas, Chairperson of the FFM (Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela): “Our team has reviewed close to 2,500 incidents involving close to 4,600 deaths committed by the security forces. This provides the context to what are the violations that we document in the report and that we consider are extrajudicial executions.”
  9. Exterior medium shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying
  10. SOUNDBITE (English) — Paul Seils, member of the FFM (Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela): “If the Venezuelan authorities are not willing, fail to do anything or do anything genuinely, then of course the International Criminal Court has already indicated that it’s examining that position and I think one can assume it stands ready to make a decision.”
  11. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying

Similar Stories

Myanmar earthquake response   OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

1

1

1

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC ENG FRA

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.