UNOG Bi-weekly press Briefing: Ethiopia Crisis - UNHCR
/
2:07
/
MP4
/
163.2 MB

Edited News | UNHCR

UNOG Bi-weekly press Briefing: Ethiopia Crisis - UNHCR

First of four UN humanitarian airlifts for Ethiopia refugees lands in Khartoum

An airplane loaded with humanitarian supplies for people fleeing violence in Ethiopia’s Tigray region has arrived in the Sudanese capital Khartoum, the UN said on Friday, in an appeal for international assistance to cope with the growing number of refugees seeking shelter in neighbouring Sudan.

“This morning, a plane carrying 32 tons of UNHCR emergency aid from our global stockpiles in Dubai landed in Khartoum,” said UNHCR spokesperson Babar Baloch. “Another airlift is scheduled to leave Dubai on Monday with an additional 100 tonnes of additional relief items…In total, we plan to send four airlifts.”

Since the start of fighting in Ethiopia’s northern Tigray region in early November, more than 43,000 refugees have crossed into Sudan.

People have sought shelter amid reports of a heavy build-up of tanks and artillery around regional capital Mekelle, following the Ethiopian Government’s ultimatum to forces loyal to the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) to surrender.

Earlier this week, UN Secretary-General António Guterres expressed deep concern over the unfolding situation, before urging “the leaders of Ethiopia to do everything possible to protect civilians, uphold human rights and ensure humanitarian access for the provision of much-needed assistance”.

In a statement, the UN chief also called for the “free and safe movement of people searching for safety and assistance, regardless of their ethnic identity, across both national and international borders".

Echoing the Secretary-General’s message, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet, warned that both sides were using rhetoric that was “dangerously provocative and risks placing already vulnerable and frightened civilians in grave danger”.

Even before violence erupted in Ethiopia’s northern Tigray regions causing mass displacement, Sudan was already home to nearly one million refugees, mainly from South Sudan.

In eastern Sudan, UNHCR has continued to step up its relief effort, together with national and local partners. “Aid is being mobilized to help refugees almost half of whom are children,” Mr. Baloch said, citing “complex logistical challenges”.

To date the agency has helped to relocate nearly 10,000 refugees to Um Rakuba site, 70 kilometres inside Sudan, as work continues to put up shelters and improve services.

Family tracing services have been established and these have already reunited many separated refugees.

Mr. Baloch noted that although humanitarian agencies continue to provide shelter and other facilities to help refugees, “more resources are required and Sudan needs international support urgently”.

Inside Tigray region, concerns continue to grow for the safety of civilians in Mekelle, home to more than 500,000 people, and some 96,000 Eritrean refugees based in four camps.

“Without humanitarian access, it’s very hard to say what is actually going on, on the ground but there were worrying reports that fighting was getting closer to these refugee camps” Mr. Baloch told journalists via video link at a regular UN Geneva briefing.

Before the conflict erupted, UNHCR had “regular access to the refugees”, the UNHCR official continued, but “since the start of it, we have lost access”.

Highlighting the refugees’ reliance on humanitarian distributions, Mr. Baloch said that “according to what they have had…they will be running out of food as of Monday”.

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a cloudy day.
  2. Medium shot, TV broadcast in foreground and podium with speakers to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, spokesperson for UNHCR (UN Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees): “This morning, a plane carrying 32 tonnes of UNHCR emergency aid from our global stockpiles in Dubai landed in Khartoum. Another airlift is scheduled to leave Dubai on Monday with an additional 100 tonnes of relief items.”
  4. Medium shot, journalists sitting and using listening devices, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, UNHCR spokesperson: “Aid is being mobilized to help refugees almost half of whom are children. Humanitarian agencies continue to provide shelter and other facilities to help refugees, but more resources are required and Sudan needs international support urgently.”
  6. Medium shot, journalist typing on laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, UNHCR spokesperson: “This concerns also and worries remain for the refugees, Eritrean refugees who are in…who are in the four refugee camps inside the Tigray; without humanitarian access it’s very hard to say what is actually going on, on the ground but there were worrying reports that fighting was getting closer to these refugee camps.”
  8. Medium shot, journalist looking at phone and readjusting his glasses, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, UNHCR spokesperson: “And so, before the start of the conflict, I mean we have regular access to the refugees, they are 96,000; since the start of it, we have lost access. We had done… and these refugees rely on the humanitarian distributions. We had done the distribution, we had done before the start of the conflict, according to what they have had is they will be running out of food as of Monday.”
  10. Medium shot, UN staff member typing on laptop and using listening device, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  11. Close-up, hands typing on laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  12. Medium shot, journalist sitting and typing on laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

Myanmar earthquake response   OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

1

1

1

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC ENG FRA

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.