UNOG Bi-weekly press Briefing: Ethiopia Update - UNHCR
/
2:12
/
MP4
/
167.2 MB

Edited News | UNHCR

UNOG Bi-weekly press Briefing: Ethiopia Update - UNHCR

UNHCR appeals to Ethiopia to let it reach Eritrean refugees who have run out of food

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, appealed to Ethiopia on Tuesday to let humanitarian aid reach thousands of refugees whose supplies have been cut by a month-long conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region.

“UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is today appealing to the federal authorities in Ethiopia for urgent access in order to reach Eritrean refugees in the Tigray region who are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance and services. Our concerns are growing by the hour. The camps will have now run out of food supplies – making hunger and malnutrition a real danger”, UNHCR spokesperson Babar Baloch told journalists at a regular UN briefing in Geneva.

“We are also alarmed at unconfirmed reports of attacks, abductions and forced recruitment at the refugee camps. UNHCR strongly reiterates its call for safety and security of refugees. With the current difficulties in communications and security hampering access it is not possible to verify current conditions in the camps.”

UNHCR on Monday launched an appeal for $147 million to meet the needs of more than 40,000 Ethiopians who had fled the fighting in Tigray and become refugees in neighbouring Sudan, with numbers projected to rise to 100,000 by April. Baloch said UNHCR also needed access to the Tigray region itself.

“With our concerns growing by the hour, we're appealing to the federal authorities of Ethiopia that access should be urgently provided to us in the Tigray region to reach the desperate people.”

The Eritreans in Tigray had been effectively cut off from UNHCR’s humanitarian support since the fighting began in early November, Baloch said.

“In terms of the access, no access to us since the start of the conflict, to the four refugee camps where there are 96,000 Eritrean refugees, the camps have been there, at least over a decade. And when the conflict started we lost our contact, and it's very hard to verify any information coming out of the region itself.”

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a cloudy day.
  2. Medium shot, TV broadcast in foreground and podium with speakers to rear, side shot, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, spokesperson for UNHCR (UN Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees): “UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is today appealing to the federal authorities in Ethiopia for urgent access in order to reach Eritrean refugees in the Tigray region who are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance and services. Our concerns are growing by the hour. The camps will have now run out of food supplies, making hunger and malnutrition a real danger.”
  4. Medium shot, UN Staff member seated in front of laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, spokesperson for UNHCR (UN Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees): “We are also alarmed at unconfirmed reports of attacks, abductions and forced recruitment at the refugee camps. UNHCR strongly reiterates its call for safety and security of refugees. With the current difficulties in communications and security hampering access it is not possible to verify current conditions in the camps.”
  6. Medium shot, journalist typing on phone to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, spokesperson for UNHCR (UN Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees): “With our concerns growing by the hour, we're appealing to the federal authorities of Ethiopia that access should be urgently provided to us in the Tigray region to reach the desperate people.”
  8. Medium shot, journalist using listening device and taking notes, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Babar Baloch, spokesperson for UNHCR (UN Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees): “In terms of, of the access, no access to us since the start of the conflict, to the four refugee camps where there are 96,000 Eritrean refugees, the camps have been there, at least over a decade. And when the conflict started we lost our contact, and it's very hard to verify any information coming out of the region itself.”
  10. Medium shot, journalists seated, using listening devices, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  11. Medium shot, TV broadcast to rear and journalist using listening device in foreground, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  12. Medium shot, UN Staff member seated in front of laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

Myanmar earthquake response   OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC

1

1

1

Edited News | ICRC , OHCHR , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake response OHCHR, UNHCR, ICRC ENG FRA

Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite announcing a ceasefire, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said on Friday.

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on DRC at Human Rights Council ENG

UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Nada Al-Nashif on Tuesday presented a report on the human rights situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo, detailing the continued violations of human rights as a result of the offensive launched by the Rwandan-backed M23 in eastern DRC.

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF -  IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update OCHA - UNICEF - IFRC ENG FRA

UN humanitarians and partners on Tuesday expressed deep shock at the killing of 15 colleagues on duty in southern Gaza whose remains were recovered from a shallow grave after a week-long rescue operation, noting that one worker is still missing.

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA -  WHO - UNHCR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA , WHO , UNHCR

Myanmar earthquake update UNICEF - OCHA - WHO - UNHCR ENG FRA

Myanmar earthquake latest: window for lifesaving support is closing, say UN humanitarians

As the death toll continues to rise in earthquake-struck Myanmar, UN humanitarians have been rushing to support severely deprived and traumatized victims, warning that the window for lifesaving response is closing.

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNWOMEN , WHO

Gaza update - OCHA, WHO UN Women 28 March 2025 ENG FRA

Lifesaving supplies in Gaza continue to run dangerously low, nearly four weeks into the total aid blockade and deadly bombardment of the enclave by Israel, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Yemen 10 years of war - UNICEF ENG FRA

As Yemen’s conflict reaches 10-year mark, over half a million children severely malnourished

In Yemen, a decade of conflict has been catastrophic for the country’s children living under the threat of airstrikes and staggeringly high malnutrition rates, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 24 March 2025 ENG FRA

Amid continuing uncertainty about the impact of deep US funding cuts to humanitarian work worldwide, the head of the UN agency coordinating the fight against HIV-AIDS warned that an addition 6.3 million people will die in the next four years, unless the support is reinstated.

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN report details devastating impact of hostilities on children in Ukraine ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office today published a report detailing how death, injury and lasting family separation are among the traumatic events that have upended the lives of Ukraine’s children in the three years since the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion. 

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , UNICEF , IFRC

Gaza update - UNWRA, UNICEF, IFRC 21 March 2025 ENG FRA

Israel’s renewed bombing campaign and intensifying ground operation in Gaza are reversing gains achieved during the brief ceasefire, UN humanitarians said on Friday from inside the devastated enclave.

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | HRC

HRC - Press conference: Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine - 19 March 2025 ENG FRA

The Human Rights Council on Wednesday heard gruesome testimony of torture, rape and execution of Ukrainian detainees and soldiers by Russian forces, as a high-level independent probe delivered its latest mandated report in Geneva.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025

2

23

1

1

Edited News , Press Conferences | UNITED NATIONS

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: UN Secretary-General António Guterres Media Stakeout - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Cyprus talks result in trust-building measures, show ‘new atmosphere’ among divided island’s leaders, says UN’s Guterres

UN-led efforts to kick-start talks on the divided Mediterranean island of Cyprus have resulted in agreements on new trust-building measures and also underscored the positive “new atmosphere” surrounding the discussions, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Tuesday.

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025

1

62

1

2

Edited News , Images | UNITED NATIONS , UNOG

Informal Meeting on Cyprus, UN Geneva: arrivals and meeting - 18 March 2025 ENG FRA

Fresh talks over the future of Cyprus continued on Tuesday as representatives of the divided Mediterranean island gathered at the UN in Geneva along with guarantors Greece, Türkiye and the United Kingdom at the request of UN chief António Guterres.